Featured Post

Review Paper Princess/Broken Prince (The Royals) by Erin Watt

Hello fellow book addicts If there is one series that you have to read this year it has to be The Royal series by Erin Watt. As always the...

Thursday, May 29, 2014

DynoMoon Review Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Hey Addicts! It's DynoMoon---I'm here again with another YA review for you
 Their love was meant to be. When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

This was a book I picked up back in mid2012 and as you can tell from above it's a YA Paranormal.

Carrier of the Mark had a fantastic beginning! It sucked me in right from the first chapter and kept me entertained during the flight I was on at the time. However, I couldn't help noticing a few similarities to Twilight. Thought I do not have nearly as big a problem/reaction to it as many others have. Carrier of the Mark is a much more developed and in many ways, more original that Twilight! A BIG REASON FOR THAT IS THE HEROINE! Megan was definitely put in several Bella-esq situations, but the thing I like so much better about Megan is that Megan was A STRONG but still gentle main girl.

Yes you can compare Adam Deris and his family to Edward's but again, it didn't bother me, because it worked! And come on, lets be real here, there were a lot of books before Twilight that many could say Twilight took from! I think it's time to give it a rest and take a step back and see this book for what it is: A YA paranormal.

I digress......... Megan- why I like her so much, she's not the pushover, weak, rely on others type character that Bella was (though I may be a bit harsh there because I liked book Bella but Kristen Steward ruined her for me!) AND MEGAN has some crazy cool kick-ass-don't-mess-with-me-I'll-destroy-you powers that make her crazy powerful, but she doesn't let this power or her "destiny" go to her head. And Adam--way hotter and far more swoon worthy than Edward, was way stronger in the character development department. In fact, all the characters were. (Even though Adam did run into a door way when he sees Megan for the first time :D so cute-ly funny) And there was no wishy-washy with Adam once he settled on Megan! I love that kind of dedication/devotion/loyalty. And Megan had it for Adam too.

Though Leigh did make the Father--her only parent--way more absentee than I think she should've. I can only imagine how much more depth the story may have had if Megan had to deal with her father as well!
The depth of the story--that is where the rating falls for me. The plot was kinda obvious, as many YA's are, and it was too easy to predict what was coming next. Not that I didn't enjoy what happened, I did, but I saw it coming several yards away.

That said, this was a fun, interesting read that was well paced, had great descriptions that really pulled me into the character's worlds and let me connect with almost all the characters. And that's not something that happens often for me. The world building is very solid, I could only find 1 possible teeny tiny hole that could be considered looked over, but it is not something that's important to the book so..... There was also good tension between ALL the characters, not only with Megan and Adam, that amped up when it needed to and settled a bit when it wasn't needed. I'd also like to add--no love triangle!

The ending of this book left me perfectly itching for the next book, and I'm glad it's finally out. Over all this is a solid book, appropriate for a 13 year olds and up. I personally think this series is worth checking out.

Th whole reason I decided to do a review Carrier of the Mark now is because the second book was released earlier this year and I'm finally getting around to reading it. I'm hoping to be able to review it here soon! Here's a look at the cover of Carrier series Shadow of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
See you next time Addicts--until then enjoy reading!
~DynoMoon

No comments:

Post a Comment